Updating on Project Statuses

If you have been following along with my blogging adventures, you might have noticed that I haven’t updated much this month.  I’m making a point to put up this post to explain why and what’s happened this month.

The answer is simple: it’s March.

March and October are my crunchiest months. This usually means that I come up for air about once a week and then it’s back into the deep end of work.  This is entirely because of school. I have found, more often than not, that I tend to have more of a focus on school projects in October and March. These days, my projects are a bit more exciting, and a bit more everything overall.  So that’s why I haven’t been posting much. I’ve felt that it is much better for me to work on my projects than update the blog.

That said, I want to let people know how my projects are going.  First, my game project “The Doors are Frozen Shut” is coming along. I have one action mostly codified.  The game may only end up with the one special action.  As I’ve said before, it’s important for me to get the one action working before I move on to adding in more.  There are two reasons for this. 1. I don’t want to get bogged down thinking about every possible action someone could do at any given time.  2. I want to make sure that I can have a functioning “game” so I can complete the class for which I’m working on it. Once I get something I can turn in, then I intend to expand the game and make it more fleshed out as it should be.

Second, my project on narrative: I started writing the document sometime last week. You probably won’t hear much out of me on this project until it is fully written.  I was supposed to hammer out a lot of it yesterday, but I spent time on another project instead. I will be working on it today I think, provided I get the proper motivation. I wish I had a paper copy of Patterns in Game Design, though.  Next on the docket for the project is writing the theoretical section, though I may write the description of Flower first. I will have to rewrite any of the descriptions after the theory is done, though, as the theory is supposed to be reflected in the descriptions.

Third, my player taxonomies project: this project has spiraled around and down and through some hoops.  At the moment, I have completed the synthesized model. It houses six components with various subcomponents.  I have to go back over it and check for inconsistencies with some of the data (Yee’s subcomponents, for example, show up as being mutually exclusive to each other, backed by survey data, so my model should reflect this at least to some degree).  The project, in my mind, though, is warping even stronger to be addressing the concept of genre.  I keep seeing my model on the back of game boxes (for however long that will last), describing games by its dominant traits, rather than by an arbitrary category (or set of categories, such as the third-person shooter, action/adventure, roleplaying game, which is where I put games like Deus Ex: Human revolution).  For the moment, I am focusing on the synthesis and genre, but I will incorporate the comparison to an established personality model when I get the chance. I have been thinking of changing from Keirsey to Big-5, mostly because Big-5 is a well established components model. I feel it would be easier to compare models if they were of the same type.

In addition to these projects, I have been dreaming up a few new projects for the summer.  Last summer was a bit of a bust with air conditioning issues, money tightness and moving (and settling in, etc.).  Here are the things I’d like to work on over the summer:

1. Start work on my project surrounding some of the music of The Airborne Toxic Event.  I won’t get very far with this, unless I get an artist on board, but I can at least start it.

2. A text adventure that explores the decisions made in the myth of The Judgment of Paris. Seriously.  I’ve already got the storyboard written up (I did it when I didn’t have time to do any project work, don’t worry).

3. Sphere, which is my extremely long-lived attempt at making a tabletop roleplaying game. I know the market is flooded right now. I don’t care. I have a good direction on it this time. I just need to make a ton of content.  This project was rekindled and born from a conversation I had with my D&D GM about the lack of Harry Potter tabletop rpgs. I will not be making a Harry Potter tabletop RPG, but Sphere is based upon the concept of a magic university set upon the modern world. Don’t worry, it will be different from Harry Potter.

4. Probably some other things I can’t remember right now. Maybe a game just for fun. I think a game just for fun would be nice. You know, instead of a game that is critically about something, which is what my recent games have been like.

So that’s that. I hope that I will be back to a more normal range of blogging by April. It all depends on how compressed my work is getting.  See you on the other side.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s